How to upcycle flower pots with VIN+OMI
- Always prepare the surfaces and test the colour application on a small, inconspicuous area first. Cover your surroundings with biodegradable dust sheets or other left-over materials from your recycling.
- Remove existing paint from your terracotta flower pots by using fine sandpaper and apply a base coat of System3 Gesso Primer with a brush for best results.
- Reuse glass containers from your recycling and clean them for colour mixing.
- Think about your colour design first, then mix and match the colours to your liking. For a more controlled splashing, we would recommend System3 Acrylic due to its medium flow attributes; if you want to go wild, System3 Ink or FW Acrylic Ink might be a better option for you.
- Using your brush, start to splash colour onto the pots. The faster the movement, the straighter the lines. Overlay splashes to create different textures and heights with your colour splashes.
- Knowing when to finish is the hardest part of every piece of art, so we’ll leave it to you to decide this for yourself.
- Apply a coat of Acrylic Soluble Matt or Gloss Varnish to your finish your flower pots for outdoor usage.
- Tip: Of course, you can also create a realistic, abstract, or impressionistic piece of art on your plant pots. There are no limits. Use paint, marker, glue, paper, or varnish as much as you like.
What you'll need
System3 Acrylic Ink
Daler-Rowney System3 Acrylic Inks are multi-surface, pigment-based opaque inks, ideal for mixed media and multi-technique applications. The System3 Acrylic Inks are water-based, water-resistant when dry and can be used inside as well as outdoor.VIEW
FW Acrylic Ink
Daler-Rowney FW Acrylic Inks are acrylic based, pigmented, water-resistant artists' inks with a high degree of lightfastness and intermixability. FW Acrylic Ink can be used straight out of the dropper, or diluted to achieve the most subtle of tones.VIEW
Aquafine Watercolour Ink
Daler-Rowney Aquafine Watercolour Inks are higly saturated, pigment-based inks that are perfect for a wide range of uses and techniques. The Aquafine Inks can be applied directly using the included dropper or use brushes, paint markers, technical pens or airbrushes.VIEW
FW Pearlescent Ink
Daler-Rowney FW Pearlescent Inks can be used to add shimmer and shine to decorative arts such as greeting cards, seasonal decorations, mounts and frames. They are perfect for creating dazzling effects on various surfaces.VIEW
About the artist
VIN + OMI are award winning fashion and multi media designers who work internationally. They are previous recipients of a NESTA award for their innovation in fashion, research and their unique business models.